Since taking office in 2007, Ellen Jaffee has introduced and cosponsored laws that make our communities safer. Following is a partial list of these laws and what they do:
- Give sex assault victims easier access to the life-saving medicine that prevents HIV/AIDs. This law was authored by Ellen and signed into law in 2012.
- Protect domestic violence victims while cracking down on repeat offenders.
- Create a safe and secure learning environment for all students, by prohibiting cyber-bullying.
- Crack down on human trafficking
- Cut down DWI accidents and substance abuse: Leandra’s Law imposes some of the strongest penalties in the nation for DWI; In addition, Ellen wrote a law that focuses on prevention for substance abuse among women, by making it easier for women to get access to treatment.
- Make the internet safe for our children by punishing internet predators.
- Prevent sexual predators from living among us without strict supervision.
- Ellen authored a resolution, which called for the federal reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
- Keep pedestrians especially seniors safe with Safe Streets for seniors.